Open Call For Novellas
We are currently CLOSED to novella submissions.
**We will reopen to Submissions on January 1st 2024, and remain open until April 30th 2024.
If you are at all interested PLEASE sign up for the Psychopomp newsletter to stay up to date on all things Psychopomp + you’ll receive our amazing weekly Letter From The Psychopomp. Sign up free, here:
Please read the guidelines thoroughly before submitting.
What We’re Looking For:
We are looking for speculative fiction or literary novellas between 20,000 to 40,000 words that fall under one (or some!) of the following themes:
- stories where grief or loss play a leading role
- stories that feature the afterlife or the underworld
- stories that involve the journey through death/the journey of the dead
- stories that involve death personified (Death!)
- stories that take place in, or utilize a multiverse
- stories that involve time travel (esp. those that involve time travel + a previously mentioned theme)
- origin stories (especially as they relate to previously mentioned themes)
- stories where the characters slowly lose their sense of reality
- space, but make it goth
- a story within a story within a (within a story that’s [within a story] within a story) story….
- stories where things that are not usually personified ARE personified (planets? galaxies? time? …bones?)
- creepy meta-horror
- amazingly original ghost stories
We are ABSOLUTELY not interested in the following themes:
- conventional horror story tropes (zombies, werewolves, vampires, etc.)
- slashy, gory horror
- stereotypical christian afterlife stories of angels, devils, pearly gates, etc.
- stories that are heavy on the humor (Douglas Adams type of humor is a bad fit; dark, smart, black humor is more likely to land but will STILL be a hard sell)
- hard sci-fi
- military sci-fi
- sword and sorcery fantasy (we want nothing to do with goblins, orcs, etc.)
- the fae
We are looking to acquire original, unpublished novellas. If your story has been published in any way (including self published or published on your Patreon) please do not submit it here.
One story per author; no multiple submissions or simultaneous submissions. If a story is on submission somewhere else, please wait before sending it to us.
If we accept your novella for publication, you will be offered an advance against royalties of $750, as well as 25% of net receipts.
We are buying the rights to publish the story in print, eBook, and audio formats in English, worldwide (this means that translations into English that have never been published before IN ENGLISH are A-OK).
How to Submit:
Here is the submission link (which will be live on 1/1/24):